Friday, May 25, 2012

Seen Around Town: Pier Street Sunday Market



Campbell River's Pier Street Sunday Market celebrated it's 10th year anniversary this month, and I couldn't imagine a better way to spend a few hours in town than wandering about the grounds with my camera in hand. I was eager to capture the flavor of the market in photos. So where are the pretty pictures? Well... I was easily sidetracked on this photo shoot, w-a-y too busy enjoying the sights, sounds and tastes of the market on a sunny Sunday to focus on photography. 


I enjoyed chatting with the vendors, some of whom I've come to know over the years. "You take the same shot of me every year!" protested one restauranteur. "Hey, you're back in town!" welcomed another with a smile. 

Could you resist sampling smoked salmon, local honey, or any of the other items available for taste-testing? I couldn't. I sampled and purchased several items. RL loved the flavorful Orchard Honey and sweet little loaf of lemon bread that I brought back to the boat. The assorted Island produce was tempting as well, some of it as eye-catchingly colorful as the floral bouquets..

People-watching is a a favorite spectator sport, and the market draws an interesting blend of locals and visitors. Recognizable languages heard include Canadian English, British English, American English, French, German, Russian, Japanese and a handful of others I couldn't place. Young street musicians dotted the sidewalk along the waterfront, spaced just far enough apart to command their own audience, entertaining the crowds that passed. It's nice to have a pocketful of loonies and toonies to acknowledge their efforts.  

It might take several more follow-up trips to the Sunday event to better capture the essence of the market, the wide assortment of farmers, craftspeople, food booths and other vendors. I'll be ready for another photo visit when we return in Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments, so please leave a friendly message. Comments are moderated so it may take a while for your note to appear.